Re: How to individually list the DDL for all individual data base objects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Berend Tober
Subject Re: How to individually list the DDL for all individual data base objects
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 08:12 AM, Berend Tober wrote:
>> François Beausoleil wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>

>>> Were you aware that pg_restore can restore to STDOUT, and output DDL
>>> for only a single named object from a custom dump file?
>>
>>    <snip> <snip>
>>
>> The dependance issue is potentially a problem, but (as I believe) it
>> looks like the output of pg_restore in a list file is in the correct
>> order to process dependencies, so I could walk backwards of forwards
>> through that if changes to one object were dependent on, or caused
>> cascading effects in other objects.
>
> At this point I have to ask:
>
> What is the problem you are trying to solve?
>
> Your last paragraph seems to be reinventing the -Fc TOC, so I am not
> sure where you going with this?

On the small scale, I wanted to have an individual file listing the DDL
for each data base object in the case that I need to modify the object
... I could start with the script that created it as a basis for
modifications, like for views and functions, etc. In the larger scale, I
was thinking I would like to check in all of the individual modules to
revision control, retaining a fine-grained control, rather than
submitting the one big comprehensive file.

---