Re: SSL Certificates in Postgres 9.3 and Windows 7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: SSL Certificates in Postgres 9.3 and Windows 7
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/09/2014 10:17 AM, David G Johnston wrote:
> Quoting original message to try and show file contents...
>

> harpagornis wrote
>> I am trying to implement SSL certificates with postgres 9.3 locally in
>> Windows 7.  In Windows Component Services / Local Services, postrgres is
>> configured to start automatically, with Log On as a local system account.
>>
>> Using my Windows administrator account, in a command prompt inside my data
>> folder, when I execute postgres -D . , I get the message, "Redirecting
>> logging output to the logging collector service."   I also get this error
>> message in my log file:
>>
>> 2014-11-09 03:05:13 GMT LOG:  client certificates can only be checked if a
>> root certificate store is available
>> 2014-11-09 03:05:13 GMT HINT:  Make sure the configuration parameter
>> "ssl_ca_file" is set.
>> 2014-11-09 03:05:13 GMT CONTEXT:  line 2 of configuration file
>> "D:/PostgresDat/pg_hba.conf"
>> 2014-11-09 03:05:13 GMT FATAL:  could not load pg_hba.conf
>>
>> When I try to connect in PgAdminIII I get the error message, "Server isn't
>> listening"  What am I doing wrong?  Right now, just for development
>> purposes, do I need to have a root certificate?  I tried unsuccessfully to
>> create one with makecert but couldn't get the flags and options right.

My suggestion would be to read:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/ssl-tcp.html

The short version:

If you want a client to supply a certificate then you need a valid
ssl_ca_file. If you do not want that to happen do not set cert
clientcert=1 in pg_hba.conf