Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> Also, I don't necessarily buy that 32k * max_connections is too much
> shared memory; even with max_connections of 1000 that's only 32M,
> which is trivial for any box that's actually configured for 1000
> connections.

That's not where the problem is.  The people who will be left holding
the short end of the stick are the ones who can't raise their SHMMAX
setting past a couple of megabytes.

It might be feasible to make pg_stat_activity's max string length
a postmaster-start-time configuration option.