Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/27/14 2:55 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I think the easy way of doing that is to just create an xlog.tar file.
> Since we already create "base.tar" and possibly n*<tablespace.tar>,
> adding one more file shouldn't be a big problem, and would make such
> an implementation much easier. Would be trivial to do .tar.gz for it
> as well, just like for the others.

That might be a way forward, but for someone who doesn't use tablespaces
and just wants and all-on-one backup, this change would make that more
cumbersome, because now you'd always have more than one file to deal with.

It might be worth considering a mode that combines all those tar files
into a super-tar.  I'm personally not a user of the tar mode, so I don't
know what a typical use would be, though.