Re: logfile character encoding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Redoute
Subject Re: logfile character encoding
Date
List pgsql-general
Am 17.08.2014 16:49, schrieb Adrian Klaver:

> Here is a blog
> that seems to address your issue somewhat:
>
> http://www.g-loaded.eu/2011/02/27/locale-windows/

This seems somewhat confused. But it made me playing with initdb, which
I did not try before.

I got:
> >initdb.exe --locale=american_usa --encoding=UTF-8 --pgdata C:/Daten/pgdata2/
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "English_United States.1252".
> The default text search configuration will be set to "english".
So also Blogger George will have Windows-1252 messages, if ever an
english message from Postmaster will contain Non-ASCII.

> >initdb.exe --locale=English --encoding=UTF-8 --pgdata C:/Daten/pgdata2/
the same

> >initdb.exe --locale=English --pgdata C:/Daten/pgdata2/
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "English_United States.1252".
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "WIN1252".
> The default text search configuration will be set to "english".
Additional message when I leave out the encoding parameter.

> >initdb.exe --pgdata C:/Daten/pgdata2/
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "German_Germany.1252".
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "WIN1252".
> The default text search configuration will be set to "german".
using default values

> >initdb.exe --locale=German_Germany.874 --pgdata C:/Daten/pgdata2/
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "German_Germany.874".
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "WIN874".
> The default text search configuration will be set to "german".
I can haz Thai Codepage =:-}

> >initdb.exe --locale=German_Germany.UTF-8 --pgdata C:/Daten/pgdata2/
> initdb: invalid locale name "German_Germany.UTF-8"
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "German_Germany.1252".
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "WIN1252".
> The default text search configuration will be set to "german".
but no UTF-8; same for ".UTF8" or ".65001"

> >initdb.exe --encoding=UTF-8 --pgdata C:/Daten/pgdata2/
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "German_Germany.1252".
> The default text search configuration will be set to "german".
So this probably is the configuration I started with.

Thanks,
Redoute