Re: how to improve perf of 131MM row table? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: how to improve perf of 131MM row table?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 06/25/2014 03:10 PM, AJ Weber wrote:

> I have a relatively sizable postgresql 9.0.2 DB with a few large tables
> (keep in mind "large" is relative, I'm sure there are plenty larger out
> there).

Regardless of any help we might offer regarding this, you need to
upgrade your installation to 9.0.17. You are behind by several
performance, security, and integrity bugfixes, some of which address
critical corruption bugs related to replication.

> One of my queries that seems to be bogging-down performance is a join
> between two tables on each of their BIGINT PK's (so they have default
> unique constraint/PK indexes on them).  One table is a detail table for
> the other.

This isn't enough information. Just knowing the relative sizes of the
tables doesn't tell us which columns are indexed, whether or not the
query is using those indexes, how many rows usually match, which queries
are performing badly, and so on.

Please refer to this page to ask performance related questions:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions

Without much of this information, we'd only be speculating.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse, LLC | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604