Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sep 2, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andy Astor escribió:
>
>> Non-English Groups
>> ------------------
>> I've carefully read all the objections, including those of the non-
>> English
>> PG organizations. But I don't believe anyone against this proposal
>> mentioned
>> that Alvaro strongly supported the name change from his (Spanish)
>> perspective.
>
> One thing to note, though, is that we don't have as much activity
> as the
> other groups.  In particular we haven't produced any swag with the
> PostgreSQL name, or even anything as a "PostgreSQL Day".

Again, we need to quit worrying about material that's been printed.
There's no reason to throw existing stuff out. And it seems a big
part of the argument from the foreign groups centers around marketing
material.

Pronouncibility for English speakers is a *HUGE* problem with the
current name. Why doesn't that exist for other languages? Because
it's a foreign name to begin with! Would Americans care one wit if
Mitsubishi was instead called Samsung? No, because they'd just learn
how to pronounce the name (yes, I know that's an inaccurate example,
but I had to pick another Japanese name everyone knows how to
pronounce).

At *worst*, Postgres is just an un-pronouncible in a foreign tongue
as PostgreSQL is; but I'll bet that in many languages Postgres is
going to be better, just like in English.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org