Suggestions for website improvements - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Thomas Landauer
Subject Suggestions for website improvements
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi,

Akshay Joshi told me at
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/6278#note-36 to post suggestions
to this mailing list.

1: Integrate the "Download" page into the home page.
(In detail: Move its content between "Latest Videos" and "News", then
remove the "Download" page)
Reasons:
* Sooner or later, anybody will need the download. The earlier you show
it, the better.
* The "News" on the home page are not that important, since first and
foremost you need to inform *new* users what this is all about. Existing
users will find out the news anyway...

2: In that newly created Download section on the home page, include 2
questions from the FAQ right away:
"What is pgAdmin 4?"
"What are Server Mode and Desktop Mode?"
Reasons:
* Those 2 questions are fundamental to *any* user, not just to *some*
users (like e.g. the Master Password question).
* Having 2 modes for a program is uncommon. Sooner or later this will
cause new users some confusion, so it's better to address it upfront.

3: Merge the "FAQ" into "Latest Docs":
The distinction between these two seems somewhat arbitrary. The entire
"Troubleshooting" section from FAQ could become a new heading in the
docs - and for the few other questions we can certainly find a place too.

4: Long-term: Get rid of the "Quick Links" column, and merge it into the
top navbar.
I only now realized that these are not the same! But I don't have a
quick solution for this. In other words: I'd rather wait for some
feedback if you're interested in changing anything at all, before
writing even more... ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas