Re: SSD Drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: SSD Drives
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/4/2014 10:15 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
2. Do I need both BBU on the RAID *and* capacitor on the SSD or just on one?
> Which one? I'm suspecting capacitor on the SSD and write-through on the
> RAID.
You need both. The capacitor protects the drive, the BBU protects the
raid controller.

note BBU's on raid cards are being replaced by 'flash-back' which is a supercap and flash memory backup for the raid card's write-back cache.