Re: SSD Drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: SSD Drives
Date
Re: SSD Drives  (Guy Rouillier <guy.rouillier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 04/02/2014 04:55 PM, Bret Stern wrote:

> Care to share the SSD hardware you're using?

We use these:

http://www.fusionio.com/products/iodrive2/

The older versions of these cards can read faster than a RAID-10 of
80x15k RPM SAS drives, based on our tests from a couple yeas ago. Writes
aren't *quite* as fast, but still much better than even a large RAID array.

They ain't cheap, though. You can expect to pay around $15k USD per TB,
I believe. There are other similar products from other vendors which may
have different cost/performance ratios, but I can only vouch for stuff
I've personally tested.

Our adventure with these cards was a presentation at Postgres Open in
2011. Slides are here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/images/c/c5/Nvram_fun_profit.pdf

--
Shaun Thomas