Re: Re: Alpha tas() patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Alpha tas() patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Adriaan Joubert <a.joubert@albourne.com> writes:
> For Tru64 there are macros in /usr/include/alpha/builtins.h
> which do the job.

It would be interesting to see the assembly code that those macros
expand to.

> Doing this in assembler is totally non-trivial, as most versions are
> only liable to work on single-processor machines and not on SMP boxes
> (the problem with the previous linux TAS, I believe).

You've said that before, but whether it's difficult or not is completely
irrelevant.  We have to develop a version that works; there is no
alternative.

Has anyone dug into the kernel sources to see what's used there for
cross-processor locks?  It should be pretty much the same problem.