Re: [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL RPM Yum repository is available] - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL RPM Yum repository is available]
Date
List pgsql-www

- --On Wednesday, January 09, 2008 09:37:00 +0100 Magnus Hagander
<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> If that's so, then that's the problem. Because the first copy of this email
> was received *way* earlier than that. As in right after it was sent. Maybe
> you can get a bunch of the original headers fromt he MBOX files in the
> archives? (they have only one copy of it, but I'll bet it shows a
> completely different delivery time)

The archives would only have one copy ... its after it was written to the
archives that anything would have been duplicated ...

> Who generates the messageid? Devrim? majordomo? maia? Because I only see that
> exact messageid once (not ESMTP id here, actual message id
> "1199744552.30375.57.camel@localhost.localdomain") only shows up once in my
> logs. So the different copies of the mail was delivered with different
> messageids.

To the best of my knowledge, the message id its is generated by Devrim's system
... in fact, if you look at the headers of this 'thread', you will also see a
References header which is the message ids of other messages in this thread:

And, from the message I'm responding to:

Notice that your domain name is in the @ part?

Now, I'm not 100% certain what happens if someone *re-injected* the message,
but suspect it would end up with a new message id .. which *could* explain what
happened (if we had headers to check) ... there are multiple moderators for the
list, so if someone re-injected the message a few times, th emoderators could
have re-approved each one without realizing they were doing it ...

... but, that woudln't explain why JoshB or I received multiple copies, just
you and JD, so I don't really consider that one a high probability, just low
possibility ... in fact, very low possibility, as we shoudl then see multiple
copies in the archives ...

- ----