Re: Review: tests for client programs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Review: tests for client programs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/17/14, 9:19 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> there can be option "--with-client-tests" and this option should to require
>> IRC::Run
>
> A configure option seems a workable idea.
>
> In the future we might want to use the Perl test framework for other
> things, so perhaps --enable-perl-testing or something like that.

I don't think I want to add another configure option.  That just reduces
flexibility during development and will make it less likely that people
can or will run the tests.

Skipping tests because of missing dependencies is a standard behavior in
TAP test suites.  The alternative is that we make it a hard requirement.I'd be for that, but maybe next release.