Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marco Atzeri
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 11/02/2014 18:15, Tom Lane wrote:
> Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> The send in a patch. The patch you sent in previously did not totally
>>> remove it IIRC.
>
>> attached patch versus latest git.
>
> I've committed this with some fixes.  However, I omitted the hunks that
> change the names of generated shared libraries (to add SO_MAJOR_VERSION).
> I think that requires some policy discussion around whether we want to
> do it or not, and in any case it's unrelated to the issues being discussed
> in this thread.  If you still want that, please submit it as a separate
> patch in a new thread, with some discussion as to why it's a good idea.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Noted.

On cygwin the shared libraries are using the SO_MAJOR_VERSION
by long time.

cd /usr/bin

$ ls cyggcc*dll
cyggcc_s-1.dll  cyggccpp-1.dll

$ ls cygfo*dll
cygfontconfig-1.dll  cygform-10.dll  cygform-8.dll  cygformw-10.dll
cygfontenc-1.dll     cygform7.dll    cygform-9.dll

In this way we allow coexistence of several release, similar to

/usr/lib/libpq.so.5
on unix.

Regards
Marco