Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/04/2014 10:48 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 02/05/2014 04:08 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>>   So doing a git bisect is just painful.  Is the MSVC
>> build faster?
> Yes, but not on EC2.
>
> I've found Windows EC2 instances so impossibly slow I just gave up
> working with it. It took 1.5 hours to do a build and regression check
> with msvc on a Medium EC2 instance; the same build takes 10 mins on my
> tiny Intel i3 based Windows test machine.
>
> It's possible that some of the larger instance types may perform better
> as they use different approaches to virtualization than simple Xen HVM.
> I haven't tested, as the cost of those instances rapidly becomes
> problematic.

I typically use m1.medium. A spot instance for that is currently $0.033
/ hour. When I was working on one such the other day it took nothing
like 1.5 hours to build and test. I didn't time it so I can't tell you
how long it took, but much less than that. Of course YMMV.

cheers

andrew