Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/05/2014 04:08 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>  So doing a git bisect is just painful.  Is the MSVC
> build faster?

Yes, but not on EC2.

I've found Windows EC2 instances so impossibly slow I just gave up
working with it. It took 1.5 hours to do a build and regression check
with msvc on a Medium EC2 instance; the same build takes 10 mins on my
tiny Intel i3 based Windows test machine.

It's possible that some of the larger instance types may perform better
as they use different approaches to virtualization than simple Xen HVM.
I haven't tested, as the cost of those instances rapidly becomes
problematic.