Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date
Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-general
On 12/27/2013 02:52 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Friday, December 27, 2013, Joseph Kregloh wrote:
>
>         FYI, some testing showed that playing around with spclocation in
>         pg_tablespace is not recommended.
>

>     Do you happen to have more information about this? Because it would
>     actually solve all my problems by moving the user created
>     tablespaces out of the /data directory. But I would like more
>     information on the subject before even thinking about it anymore. I
>     did it a couple times for testing purposes. I modified the
>     spclocation in pg_tablespace and then move the folder.
>

> spclocation no longer exists in 9.3.  If the database needs to know
> where the location is, it inspects the symlink in pg_tblspc to figure
> that out.

Well the issue seems to be with 9.0. I am not exactly sure where
pg_upgrade is pulling its information, but I am guessing from the error
message that on the 9.0 side of things it is using spclocation. In the
OPs situation that is no longer valid for 9.0 once its data directory is
moved. The special circumstance here being that the user tablespace is
in PGDATA. I would welcome enlightenment on this.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com