Re: pg_rewarm status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: pg_rewarm status
Date
Re: pg_rewarm status
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/17/13, 8:34 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have used pg_prewarm during some of work related to Buffer Management and
>> other performance related work. It is quite useful utility.
>> +1 for reviving this patch for 9.4
>
> Any other votes?

We've had to manually code something that runs EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * from a bunch of tables to warm our caches after
arestart, but there's numerous flaws to that approach obviously.

Unfortunately, what we really need to warm isn't the PG buffers, it's the FS cache, which I suspect this won't help.
ButI still see where just pg_buffers would be useful for a lot of folks, so +1.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net