Re: PG replication across DataCenters (section 25 in the manual) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Harold
Subject Re: PG replication across DataCenters (section 25 in the manual)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/9/2013 11:24 AM, Ben Chobot wrote:

> Out of curiosity what did you find unclear about
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/different-replication-solutions.html?

Perhaps the "Per-table granularity" line in the matrix (Table 25-1)
might be better written as:

"Synchronization Granularity"

Columns 1-3 and 5 could say "Entire Cluster".  Column 4 might say
"Selected tables (Slony)", and I'm not sure off-hand what granularity #6
(Bucardo) is capable of.  Column #7 might just say "Varies".

For someone not familiar with what exactly WAL files are, it's not clear
that solution #3 is an all-or-nothing approaches at the cluster level.
Now that I've refreshed my memory on how WAL files work (and at what
level in the pgsql cluster), I understand why #3 works the way it does.