Re: Data corruption issues using streaming replication on 9.0.14/9.2.5/9.3.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Data corruption issues using streaming replication on 9.0.14/9.2.5/9.3.1
Date
Re: Data corruption issues using streaming replication on 9.0.14/9.2.5/9.3.1  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/19/2013 10:40 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-11-19 10:32:10 -0800, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>> What concerns me more is that we don't seem to have a framework to put
>> in a regression test on the bug you just found (and thank you for
>> finding it so quickly!).
>
> Agreed. But regarding it as a bad situation isn't fixing it
> unfortunately.

Well, I happen to have some pieces of such a framework: the parts which
can automate spinning up arbitrarily complex groups of replicas and
doing failover between them.  What we'd still need is:

a) a slightly better workload than pgbench
b) a way to compare and test databases for data corruption of several kinds

Can someone else kick in to help with this?

I think this last issue shows that it's critical as a community to have
such a testing framework in place, otherwise we really need to halt all
work on replication until we have such a thing.  I can't see how you
expect to complete streaming logical replication without a replication
testing framework.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.