Re: Changing pg_dump default file format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/08/2013 07:33 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> All I want to start is this simple fix. I don't know who is going to
> step up to work on pg_dump/all considering it is the bastard step child
> of the project. We only work on it when we absolutely have to (and CMD
> is just as guilty as the rest).

The change its self is simple; the consequences aren't. We learned that
with bytea_output.

There are two-way compat issues to deal with:

- old pg_dump with new pg_restore
- new pg_dump with old pg_restore
- old pg_dump with new psql
- new pg_dump with old psql

and all of pg_dump, pg_restore, and psql are relevant because of the way
they handle errors and consume pg_dump output.