Re: Changing pg_dump default file format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/08/2013 12:53 AM, Harold Giménez wrote:

> Just a thought: If it's the right thing to do, why not do it in small
> steps?
> For example, couldn't we deprecate the behavior on 9.4, and switch over in
> 9.5? By deprecate I mean a warning message on STDERR making it clear
> they're relying on behavior that is scheduled to change.

I used to like that idea too, but I've since learned the hard way that:

(a) Lots of people only upgrade every two, three, or even more major
versions. I'm dealing with clients on 8.3, and people still pop up on
Stack Overflow with 8.1 sometimes! These people don't ever see the
deprecated phase.

(b) People routinely ignore cron job output. Even important job output.
They won't see the messages, and won't act on them if they do until
something actually breaks.