Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE
Date
Re: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-hackers
> That's simply not true. Andrew Dunstan reached out personally and got
> no response. He then reached out through a backchannel (a direct
> coworker of yours), before finally getting a single terse response
> from you here.

You do know that I did not receive any email from Andrew. After all I
explained this to the backchannel you mentioned. I do not know what
happened, I do not even know if it was one email or several, but I
checked everything, there simply is no such email in my mailbox.

> Every one of us has a life outside of PostgreSQL. An individual
> contributor may not be available, even for weeks at a time. It
> happens. The RMT might well have been much more flexible if you
> engaged with us privately. There has not been a single iota of
> information for us to go on. That's why this happened.

Again, I didn't know the RMT was expecting anything from me. Yes, I
knew I needed to spend some time on a technical issues, but that's
exactly the information I had at the time.

> The tone was formal and impersonal because it represented the
> position
> of the RMT as a whole (not me personally), and because it's a
> particularly serious matter for the RMT. It concerned the RMT
> exercising its authority to resolve open items directly, in this case
> by calling for a revert. This is the option of last resort for us,
> and
> it was important to clearly signal that we had reached that point.

Please read my prior email completely, I did go into detail about what
I meant with tone. I don't mind a formal wording and I completely agree
that a decision has to be made at some point. I was wrong in thinking
there was more time left, but that's also not the point. The point is
that you talk *about* me in the third person in an email you address at
me. It might be normal for you, but in my neck of the woods this is
very rude behavior.

> No other committer (certainly nobody on the RMT) knows anything about
> ecpg. How much longer were you expecting us to wait for a simple
> status update?

Where did I say I expect you to wait? How could I even do that given
that I didn't even know you were waiting for a status update from me?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De