Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 5/22/13 6:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I am curious how the 710 or S3700 stacks up against the new M500 from
> Crucial? I know Intel is kind of the goto for these things but the m500
> is power off protected and rated at: Endurance: 72TB total bytes written
> (TBW), equal to 40GB per day for 5 years .

The M500 is fine on paper, I had that one on my list of things to
evaluate when I can.  The general reliability of Crucial's consumer SSD
has looked good recently.  I'm not going to recommend that one until I
actually see one work as expected though.  I'm waiting for one to pass
by or I reach a new toy purchasing spree.

What makes me step very carefully here is watching what Intel went
through when they released their first supercap drive, the 320 series.
If you look at the nastiest of the firmware bugs they had, like the
infamous "8MB bug", a lot of them were related to the new clean shutdown
feature.  It's the type of firmware that takes some exposure to the real
world to flush out the bugs.  The last of the enthusiast SSD players who
tried to take this job on was OCZ with the Vertex 3 Pro, and they never
got that model quite right before abandoning it altogether.