Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 23/05/13 13:01, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 05/22/2013 04:37 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Joshua D. Drake
>> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> I am curious how the 710 or S3700 stacks up against the new M500 from
>>> Crucial? I know Intel is kind of the goto for these things but the
>>> m500 is
>>> power off protected and rated at: Endurance: 72TB total bytes
>>> written (TBW),
>>> equal to 40GB per day for 5 years .
>>
>> I don't think the m500 is power safe (nor is any drive at the <1$/gb
>> price point).
>
> According the the data sheet it is power safe.
>
> http://investors.micron.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=732650
> http://www.micron.com/products/solid-state-storage/client-ssd/m500-ssd

Yeah - they apparently have a capacitor on board.

Their write endurance is where they don't compare so favorably to the
S3700 (they are *much* cheaper mind you):

- M500 120GB drive: 40GB per day for 5 years
- S3700 100GB drive: 1000GB per day for 5 years

But great to see more reasonably priced SSD with power off protection.

Cheers

Mark