Re: Documentation epub format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Documentation epub format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/05/13 15:16, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 18:27 +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> The table of contents too much detailed, so it is long and slow to
>> scan, and there is no clear shortcut. Flipping pages in the
>> documentation takes ages (well, close to one second or more if I flip
>> a few pages). Do not try "search".
> EPUB is essentially a zip file with per-section simplified HTML files.
> So any device that can render simple web pages should be able to handle
> that with ease.  What I think iBooks is doing is it internally
> pre-renders all the pages in order to be able to attach page numbers to
> all the table of contents entries.  I suspect other readers that don't
> do that will be able to handle this better.
>
> That said, I think trimming down the table of contents nesting depth
> might be worth checking into for this output format.

I don't think that you don't need to trim down the nesting depth in pdf,
as the table of contents can be displayed in a tree structure, and you
only need to expand branches as far you need.  I would have assumed ePub
would have the same facility, or am I mistaken?

Cheers,
Gavin