Re: Documentation epub format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Documentation epub format
Date
Re: Documentation epub format  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
Re: Documentation epub format  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 18:27 +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> The table of contents too much detailed, so it is long and slow to
> scan, and there is no clear shortcut. Flipping pages in the
> documentation takes ages (well, close to one second or more if I flip
> a few pages). Do not try "search".

EPUB is essentially a zip file with per-section simplified HTML files.
So any device that can render simple web pages should be able to handle
that with ease.  What I think iBooks is doing is it internally
pre-renders all the pages in order to be able to attach page numbers to
all the table of contents entries.  I suspect other readers that don't
do that will be able to handle this better.

That said, I think trimming down the table of contents nesting depth
might be worth checking into for this output format.