Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/25/2013 07:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Christopher Manning <c@christophermanning.org> writes:
>> Fabr�zio and Tom,
>> I know that you can use  --variable="FETCH_COUNT=10000" from the
>> psql command line, but internally that uses a CURSOR to batch the rows and
>> [Redshift doesn't support CURSOR](
>> https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=122664&tstart=0) so it's
>> not an option when using psql to download data from Redshift.
>
> I don't know what redshift is,

It is a PostgreSQL fork based on ancient source code. From Amazon:

Amazon Redshift is based on PostgreSQL 8.0.2. Amazon Redshift and
PostgreSQL have a number of very important differences that you must be
aware of as you design and develop your data warehouse applications.

> but I have very little patience with the
> idea of burdening psql with yet another random feature in order to work
> around deficiencies in somebody else's software.  Considering that the
> earliest any such thing could reach the field would be 9.4, it seems not
> unlikely that the need for it would be gone by next year anyway.

+1 this is really an amazon problem not a postgresql problem.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579