Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql
Date
Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Manning <c@christophermanning.org> writes:
> Fabr�zio and Tom,
> I know that you can use  --variable="FETCH_COUNT=10000" from the
> psql command line, but internally that uses a CURSOR to batch the rows and
> [Redshift doesn't support CURSOR](
> https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=122664&tstart=0) so it's
> not an option when using psql to download data from Redshift.

I don't know what redshift is, but I have very little patience with the
idea of burdening psql with yet another random feature in order to work
around deficiencies in somebody else's software.  Considering that the
earliest any such thing could reach the field would be 9.4, it seems not
unlikely that the need for it would be gone by next year anyway.