Re: Automatic restart while upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Automatic restart while upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
On 13/04/13 02:08, Tom Lane wrote:
stephane.schildknecht@postgres.fr writes:
I discovered that while upgrading PostgreSQL binaries through 'yum
update', with PGDG RPMs, the service is automatically restarted.
ISTM that this was not the case before 9.2.
I dunno whether Devrim's packages acted that way before 9.2, but
this is standard behavior for all services in Red Hat environments,
and always has been.  Otherwise an intended security patch, for
instance, might not be activated till long past when the admin
thought he'd installed it.
		regards, tom lane

As far as I can recall: that is standard yum behaviour for all packages updated, rather than installed, for over 10 years,  I first stared using Red Hat, now Fedora, in about 2001.

Cheers,
Gavin