Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/25/13 8:25 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> >If the docs don't warn about this, they should, but I don't think it's
>> >the responsibility of this patch to deal with that problem. The reason
>> >I don't believe this patch should deal with it is because that is a
>> >known, rather serious, limitation of pg_upgrade. It's something about
>> >pg_upgrade that just needs to be fixed, regardless of what patches
>> >might make the situation worse.
> Huh?  It wasn't a "serious limitation" of pg_upgrade until this patch.
> What limitation does pg_upgrade have regardless of this patch?

The limitation that it depends on binary compatibility.

I suppose it's unfair to say that's a pg_upgrade limitation, but it's a certainly a limitation of Postgres upgrade
capability.So far we've been able to skirt the issue but at some point we need to address this.