Re: GSoC project : K-medoids clustering in Madlib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: GSoC project : K-medoids clustering in Madlib
Date
Re: GSoC project : K-medoids clustering in Madlib  (Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 27.03.2013 08:51, Atri Sharma wrote:
>>> I'm a bit confused as to why this is being proposed as a
>>> Postgres-related project.  I don't even know what MADlib is, but I'm
>>> pretty darn sure that no part of Postgres uses it.  KNNGist certainly
>>> doesn't.
>>
>> It's a reasonably well established extension for Postgres for
>> statistical and machine learning methods.  Rather neat, but as you
>> indicate, it's not part of Postgres proper.
>>
>> http://madlib.net/
>>
>> https://github.com/madlib/madlib/
>
> It is the extension that is normally referred to when we talk about
> data analytics in Postgres. As you said, it is not part of postgres
> proper,but IMO, if we want to extend the data analytics
> functionalities of postgres, we need to work on MADlib.

Perhaps we could do this under the PostgreSQL organization, but we'd
definitely need to get someone from the MADLib project to mentor it.

But it would be even better if MADLib would apply to GSoC as an
independent organization. The deadline for organization applications is
on March 29th, so if the MADLIb people are interested in that, they need
to hurry and send the application right now.

- Heikki