Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/10/2013 11:12 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> 5) An error message appears every time you reload configuration, if
> some part of the SET PERSISTENT mechanism isn't functional.  This is
> going to be too much for some people.  And it's confusing when it
> happens as part an interactive psql session.  I have an example way
> down at the very end of this message.
An error when `SET PERSISTENT` is actually run seems sufficient to me if
the `config` dir is absent.

If the config dir or auto config file exist but are not included, that
probably deserves a warning during startup.