Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-www
> Can you articulate why you think they aren't? Aside from the step
> above (which Josh actually points out you need to do on Yum as well)
> they seem pretty much equivalent. One extra command to add gpg keys
> doesn't seem like a watershed difference.

The below goes for both Yum and the PPAs:

1. you don't have to create or edit any configuration files
  - the editing Yum config file step mentioned is strictly optional, and
you can install postgresql without doing it.

2. you don't have to look up the mapping for Debian's "cute" version names.

3. you don't have to add and enable keys (which is two steps, actually)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.