Re: Time for an autoconf update - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Time for an autoconf update
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/8/13 12:21 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Over in Fedora-land they're trying to institute support for ARM64,
> which among other things means autoconf 2.69 or later:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-February/178273.html
>
> We are behind the curve.

What they actually mean is that they need config.guess and config.sub
that is shipped with autoconf 2.69.  But the ones in the postgresql
source tree are already of the required version.

The reason I haven't been pushing for autoconf updates in a while is
that the release notes of recent versions consist mostly of "fix
regression in previous release" and no actual features that would be of
use in PostgreSQL's configure script.  This should be revisited from
time to time, but it's probably better to do that near the beginning of
a development cycle.