Re: Training approval policy on pg.org - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: Training approval policy on pg.org
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi everyone,

Il 10/01/13 21:38, damien clochard ha scritto:
> So basically we're not submitting trainings on pg.org to upstage
> anyone, we just want to let people know what we are doing.
<snip>

My point of view is that, as things stand currently, this is a false
problem. Publishing of training events (contrary to what happens with
conferences/community events) does not harm anyone if the publisher is a
company that is considered to be reliable. Nobody gets bombed with
emails or spam, the training events simply sit there, in a separate page.

On one side we might want to limit the number of events, but in any case
I am sure there will always be people complaining. We could base it on
meritocracy, for instance using the sponsors page, but I am afraid
controversies will be even more frequent (as that page is not up to date).

On the other hand though, we cannot do anything but observe the growth
of Postgres demand - with satisfaction, pride and positive mind. So, I
stand next to Damien here.

I don't see any particular problem with having a higher number of
courses allowed in that page, even though I think we should limit that
(but set it high).

In Italy we are experiencing a similar trend and we currently have a
week of courses every month. Sure, we can't promise that they won't be
cancelled, but ... who can? And if we don't publish them, who's going to
come ever?

I think this is one of the duties of the postgresql.org website. Help
companies, as well as communities, spread the word of Postgres. And
training plays a crucial role in this. Postgresql.org is the main point
of contact for new users and newcomers of Postgres, and they need to
know who's offering training. It is a service the community delivers to
them.

So: I'd go for a high value, such as 10 courses a month per organisation.

Cheers,
Gabriele

--  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it