Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/26/2012 11:20 AM, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 27/12/12 07:39, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 12/26/2012 10:30 AM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>>> Please do not top post!
>>>

>>> In New Zealand we generally use petrol, or diesel, measured in litres -
>>> though there are some cars powered by natural gas.  I think the USA is
>>> one of the few places not using the metric system.
>>
>> Actually we do, we just pretend we don't:)
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Gavin
>>

> Actually, I learnt the metric system mostly from an American textbook on
> Physics at high school in year 12 (then called 6th form for us).

In a round about way, I came to use Postgres to help deal with our split
personality regarding the metric system. I was working at a greenhouse
at the time and new rules came down from the Federal government dealing
with the tagging of plant material for retail sale. One of the rules was
that the tags must list the volume of the container the plant was sold
in and that the volume should be in both imperial and metric units. This
was just the tip of the iceberg, so I put together a database solution
to track all the necessary information. After some false starts I
settled on Postgres as the back end.

> In New Zealand, we spend a lot more time putting down Australians than
> Americans - but if anyone was to try and invade Australia, then the half
> of New Zealanders not already living in Australia would rush to defend it.

Sort of the way we look at Canadians, especially since half of BC seems
to be in town at the moment.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com