Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date
Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/23/12 9:48 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> We waited a couple of days for feedback for this feature. So based on
> all the comments provided by everybody on this thread, perhaps we should
> move on and implement the options that would make pg_ping a better
> wrapper for PQPing. Comments?

Personally, I still don't see the general utility of this.  For
monitoring, psql -c 'select 1' is much more useful.  For network
analysis, you can use network analysis tools.  The niche for pg_ping in
between those is so narrow that I cannot see it.