Re: HT on or off for E5-26xx ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Boreham
Subject Re: HT on or off for E5-26xx ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 11/6/2012 9:16 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> I've been benchmarking a E5-4640 (4 socket) and hyperthreading off
> gave much better scaling behaviour in pgbench (gentle rise and flatten
> off), whereas with hyperthreading on there was a dramatic falloff
> after approx number clients = number of (hyperthreaded) cpus. The box
> is intended to be a pure db server, so we are running with
> hyperthreading off.

It looks like this syndrome is not observed on my box, likely due to the
much lower number of cores system-wide (12).
I see pgbench tps increase nicely until #threads/clients == #cores, then
plateau. I tested up to 96 threads btw.

We're waiting on more memory modules to arrive. I'll post some test
results once we have all 4 memory banks populated.