Re: Great site for comparing databases (or anything else) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Great site for comparing databases (or anything else)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28/10/12 12:00, Stephen Cook wrote:
> On 10/27/2012 5:18 PM, Mike Christensen wrote:
>> Just came across this one:
>>
>> http://hammerprinciple.com/databases/items/mysql/postgresql
>>
>> mySQL is great for embedding in applications though?  Have they not
>> read Oracle's license?
>
> Does it say anywhere on that site if the people surveyed know both
> databases well enough to judge these questions? I can't find anything
> about that, and the site also ranks gin and martial arts, so I'm not
> sure sure it has much value.
>
> -- Stephen

Probably a very useful site to note people's 'perceptions' - as
perceptions tend to influence peoples decisions, especially when people
feel overwhelmed by technical decision making.

Also note that for features that are obviously complicated or advanced,
Postgres tends to a lot better than MySQL.

For the above reasons, I think it may be of value to the pg community to
look at it in order to consider what are marketing messages should be.

Cheers,
Gavin