Re: Is pg_basebackup also for "regular" backups? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Is pg_basebackup also for "regular" backups?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/15/12 2:06 PM, Daniel Serodio (lists) wrote:
> I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "based off PITR". Do I
> need PITR enabled in order to use pg_basebackup, or do you mean that I
> won't lose the ability to use PITR after restoring from a backup
> created with pg_basebackup, or do you mean something else?

PITR is a recovery technique, allows you to restore the database to an
arbitrary point in time, not neccessarily the latest (so, for instance,
you can recover to just before your overzealous assistant adminstrator
made a total mess of your accounting system).

to utilize PITR, you need A) a base backup, and B) *all* the WAL
archives since that base backup was taken up to the point at which you
wish to recover.