Re: Is pg_basebackup also for "regular" backups? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Serodio (lists)
Subject Re: Is pg_basebackup also for "regular" backups?
Date
Re: Is pg_basebackup also for "regular" backups?  (Thomas Endres <endres.thomas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Daniel Serodio (lists)
<daniel.lists@mandic.com.br> wrote:
I was reading the documentation for pg_basebackup and it states that
resulting backups "can be used both for point-in-time recovery and as the
starting point for a log shipping or streaming replication standby servers".

Should pg_basebackup also be used for "regular" backups, or only for
PITR/streaming replication?
It's for "regular backups", based off PITR.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "based off PITR". Do I need PITR enabled in order to use pg_basebackup, or do you mean that I won't lose the ability to use PITR after restoring from a backup created with pg_basebackup, or do you mean something else?

Regards,
Daniel Serodio