Re: OIDs / noOIDs tables? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mathieu Arnold
Subject Re: OIDs / noOIDs tables?
Date
List pgsql-admin
--On lundi 11 mars 2002 08:10 -0800 Heni Lolov <hal_bg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As for version 7.2 postgres supports tables wothout OID. So I have 10 Gb
> database and I would like to upgrade it to 7.2 to make the tables without
> oids in order to  save disc space. I made a test. I created one table
> with oids and another without oids and dumped the same data in both of
> them but there was no difference in table sizes.
> Btw the size is the same as the size of the original table in the previous
> release i use (7.0.3).
>
> Can anybody tell me why?
> Thanks in advance!

well, I had a 7.1.3 database, and I switched over to 7.2 without oids,
here's the change :
7.1.3 :
4367448 /opt/pg/data/base/18721
7.2 :
3551340 /opt/pgsql/data/base/16567
and there's a bit more info in the 7.2 database now...
so I believe that without oids give you a bit smaller databases.

--
Mathieu Arnold