Re: shared_buffers/effective_cache_size on 96GB server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julien Cigar
Subject Re: shared_buffers/effective_cache_size on 96GB server
Date
Re: shared_buffers/effective_cache_size on 96GB server
Re: shared_buffers/effective_cache_size on 96GB server
List pgsql-performance
On 10/10/2012 09:12, Strahinja Kustudić wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hello,

> I have a Postgresql 9.1 dedicated server with 16 cores, 96GB RAM and
> RAID10 15K SCSI drives which is runing Centos 6.2 x64. This server is
> mainly used for inserting/updating large amounts of data via
> copy/insert/update commands, and seldom for running select queries.
>
> Here are the relevant configuration parameters I changed:
>
> shared_buffers = 10GB

Generally going over 4GB for shared_buffers doesn't help.. some of the
overhead of bgwriter and checkpoints is more or less linear in the size
of shared_buffers ..

> effective_cache_size = 90GB

effective_cache_size should be ~75% of the RAM (if it's a dedicated server)

> work_mem = 32MB

with 96GB of RAM I would raise default work_mem to something like 128MB

> maintenance_work_mem = 512MB

again, with 96GB of ram you can raise maintenance_work_mem to something
like 4GB

> checkpoint_segments = 64
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.8
>
> My biggest concern are shared_buffers and effective_cache_size, should
> I increase shared_buffers and decrease effective_cache_size? I read
> that values above 10GB for shared_buffers give lower performance, than
> smaller amounts?
>
> free is currently reporting (during the loading of data):
>
> $ free -m
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 96730 96418 311 0 71 93120
> -/+ buffers/cache: 3227 93502
> Swap: 21000 51 20949
>
> So it did a little swapping, but only minor, still I should probably
> decrease shared_buffers so there is no swapping at all.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Strahinja

Julien

Attachment