Re: contrib translations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: contrib translations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/14/12 10:13 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:59:45AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of vie sep 14 10:37:18 -0300 2012:
>>> Someone asked me about translations for pg_upgrade, and I don't see 'po'
>>> directories for any of the contrib tools.  Do we not translate contrib
>>> stuff?  Why?
>>
>> We don't.  I don't know the exact reason, but I know that while perusing
>> pg_upgrade's source recently I found several things that will need to be
>> changed there in order for it to be decently translatable.  Some _()
>> were in the wrong places, there are several cases of sentences being
>> constructed from parts, and so on.
>>
>> If we were to move it to src/bin/ then we would have to talk about
>> translatability.  Prior to that I would think it's premature.  I mean,
>> if we don't consider it good enough to be in src/bin/, why waste
>> translator time on it?
>
> This was a more general question of why contrib doesn't get _any_
> translations.

There is no particular reason.  Someone just needs to do the (small
amount of) work to set it up.

I'd be a bit worried about having about 50 modules of maybe 5 strings
each, which would considerably increase the overhead of managing the
translations.  It would be better if we could set it up to have 1 (or 2
or 3) modules of about 100 strings.