Re: Which postgresql should i choose to migrate from 8.3 ? 8.4 or 9.1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Which postgresql should i choose to migrate from 8.3 ? 8.4 or 9.1?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 29/08/12 04:52, Ing.Edmundo.Robles.Lopez wrote:
Hi!
We are using postgresql 8.3 in my work, and the need to migrate to a newer version became urgent :)

I've been reading the release notes for versions 8.4 and 9.1, but is not clear to me which problems I can have with version 8.4 or 9.1 from a dump 8.3

My boss thinks we would have fewer problems if we use the version 8.4, I believe that it is best to have version 9.1, and the number of problems will be the same as in version 8.4

In favor of version 9.1 is that it will be supported until 2016.

What is the structural difference or what was the reason to have a version 9 and version 8?

Please, could you help to give peace of mind to my boss and make sure that the version we choose to be as smooth as possible compatible with version 8.3?

indeed to restore the dump of the 83 in 9.1 had a bug in UTF-8, will I have the same problem with the 8.4???

What will be the problems you have had to migrate from version 8.x to the 8.4 or 9.1???

is it a good idea migrate to 9.1 rather than 8.4?

Perhaps, it would be a good idea to have a page on the postgresql site which is titled: How to convince my boss to install latest version. ;)

Farewell, and thank you for your help.

Regards.
El contenido de este correo electrónico y sus archivos adjuntos son privados y confidenciales y va dirigido exclusivamente a su destinatario.  No se autoriza la utilización, retransmisión, diseminación, o cualquier otro uso de esta información por un receptor o entidades distintas al destinatario.  Si recibe este correo sin ser el destinatario se le solicita eliminarlo y hacerlo del conocimiento del emisor. La empresa no se hace responsable de transmisiones o comunicaciones no autorizadas o emitidas por personas ajenas a sus colaboradores utilizando éste medio electrónico.

The content of this email and its attached files are private and confidential and intended exclusively for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. The retransmission, dissemination, or any other use of this information other than by the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender.  The company cannot be held liable for unauthorized electronic transmissions or communications, nor for those emitted by non-company individuals and entities.

Pg 9.2 is out real soon now; but for you, I think going to 9.1 is a better trade-off in risks and benefits.

The 9.1 version is far faster and more reliable than 8.4, apart from having extra functionality that may prove very useful. However, as has has been noted elsewhere: there are incompatibilities between the version you are using now and 9.1, so you will need to rigorously check for these.

Cheers,
Gavin