Re: Amazon High I/O instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Amazon High I/O instances
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/21/2012 09:40 PM, David Boreham wrote:
> On 8/21/2012 2:18 AM, Vincent Veyron wrote:
>> I wonder : is there a reason why you have to go through the complexity
>> of such a setup, rather than simply use bare metal and get good
>> performance with simplicity?
> In general I agree -- it is much (much!) cheaper to buy tin and deploy
> yourself vs any of the current cloud services.
>
> However, there are plenty of counterexample use cases : for example what
> if you want one of these machines for a week only?
> Another one : what if you are a venture capitalist funding 10 companies
> with questionable business models where you expect only one to succeed?
> AWS saves you from the headache of selling 500 machines on eBay...

Dedibox appears to be a hosting company that offers dedicated machines.

He appears to be suggesting that buying access to real hardware in a
datacenter (if not buying the hardware yourself) is more cost effective
and easier to manage than using "cloud" style services with more
transient hosts like EC2 offers. At least that's how I understood it.
Vincent?

I wasn't sure what Vincent meant until I did an `mtr` on his host
address, either.

http://dedibox.fr/

redirects to

http://www.online.net/

A look at their product page suggests that they're at least claiming the
machines are dedicated:

http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-sc.xhtml

running Via Nano (Nano U2250) CPUs on Dell VX11-VS8 machines. The VS8
appears to be a blade:

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2009/05/19/dell-launches-quot-fortuna-quot-via-nano-based-server-for-hyperscale-customers.aspx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/netbooknews/3537912243/

so yeah, a dedicated server for €15/month. That's *AWESOME* when you
mostly need storage and you don't care about performance or storage
reliability; it's a local HDD so you get great gobs of storage w/o
paying per GB.

--
Craig Ringer