Re: Amazon High I/O instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Amazon High I/O instances
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/21/2012 2:18 AM, Vincent Veyron wrote:
> I wonder : is there a reason why you have to go through the complexity
> of such a setup, rather than simply use bare metal and get good
> performance with simplicity?
In general I agree -- it is much (much!) cheaper to buy tin and deploy
yourself vs any of the current cloud services.

However, there are plenty of counterexample use cases : for example what
if you want one of these machines for a week only?
Another one : what if you are a venture capitalist funding 10 companies
with questionable business models where you expect only one to succeed?
AWS saves you from the headache of selling 500 machines on eBay...