Re: best practice to avoid table bloat? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: best practice to avoid table bloat?
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Anibal David Acosta" <aa@devshock.com> wrote:

> if I have a table that daily at night is deleted about 8 millions
> of rows (table maybe has 9 millions) is recommended to do a vacuum
> analyze after delete completes or can I leave this job to
> autovacuum?

Deleting a high percentage of the rows should cause autovacuum to
deal with the table the next time it wakes up, so an explicit VACUUM
ANALYZE shouldn't be needed.

> For some reason for the same amount of data every day postgres
> consume a little more.

How are you measuring the data and how are you measuring the space?
And what version of PostgreSQL is this?

-Kevin