Re: From a real novice - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mark Thomas
Subject Re: From a real novice
Date
List pgsql-novice
At 10:14 AM 3/24/03 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >From the rest of the description of your problem, you really need the
>assistance of a BSD admin at least.  That person can get help for the
>postgres-specific problems on this list or elsewhere, but assisting you with
>both Postgresql and with BSD is probably beyond the capability of any mailing
>list.  Further, if you are new to both, you are likely to damage something
>(most likely system security) in poking around to learn what's what.  And
>this sounds like it's supposed to be a production test system.

I agree with what Josh says here.

For online resources: http://www.freebsd.org.

> > Although pgsql seems to be installed, I do not know why pgsql isn't running
> > or starting at the time the system comes up. It doesn't show up in the TOP
> > list.
>
>This would require a startup script wherever BSD keeps startup
>scripts.  I'm a
>Linux user, so I can't give you pointers on this one.  Suffice it to say that
>startup scripts are *not* part of the PostgreSQL install.

/usr/local/etc/rc.d would be where to look. If the former administrator
used ports or packages, the pkg_info command should give you details on
what is installed where (see the man page for details).

> > 3. I assume I can ensure I have the most recent installation support by
> > doing a cvsup but I really only want to get my hands on the most recent
> > pgsql for FreeBSD. How is this possible?

You will likely want to investigate the FreeBSD ports or packages
collections. Again, the FreeBSD project web site is a place to start.

>If you are a newbie, you should not be messing with Postgres-CVS.  Stick to a
>stable version instead, which is downloadable from the Postgres web site.

I would suggest either the port or package from FreeBSD. They should 'just
work' with little work.

>As I said above, I think you need a consultant.

I agree.

Mark
---
thomas@pbegames.com ----> http://www.pbegames.com/~thomas